Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Yarn!

As promised I spun up some red, white and blue fiber on Memorial Day! It turned out pretty nice (if I do say so myself). This little beauty is my first 2 ply yarn too! One thing I learned was that when you spin (or ply) the two yarns together you spin it the opposite way than you spun the original yarns. Crazy isn't it? I don't know but I don't think that would have ever crossed my mind.
Memorial Day Yarn

Most of the spinning I have done since the introduction of Spinderella has been scrap yarn or practice yarn. I have done a LOT of practice treadling too just to get the speed under control. It is really easy to get excited and start running on that thing! Just recently I have learned how to set the spin in hand spun yarn. Here is one of my first (and favorite) yarns I have spun and set.
Electric Slide
When you finish spinning the yarn you wind it off the bobbin onto a niddy noddy (or the back of a chair if that is all you have). I WILL do a video of this SOON. This is a way to keep the yarn from tangling and a way to measure the yardage.
Spring Fling

Now after you wind the yarn and tie it... it is time to "set the spin". The first step in this is to run some really hot water into a sink or bucket. You place the yarn in the hot water and let it sit until the water is cool. I suggest doing this with only one colorway at a time in case bleeding occurs. After the water has cooled you remove the yarn and place it on a towel. Fold the towel over the yarn and press the water out so that you do not agitate the fiber. Then hang the yarn over a hanger or door knob or something. If the yarn spins back on itself use a couple of hangers as weights at the bottom of yarn. When it dries... you have ready to knit YARN!
Pretty Pink

All of the fiber used to make these yarns was from the Phat Fiber Sample Box. Last month I got the "Just Fluff" box. Boy was that fun! I opened up the box and took out some fiber... when I looked back at the box it was full again! It was like Mary Poppins bag! Never ending fluff!!! Well, sad thing is... it did end. But I will have another chance at a Phat Fiber Box this month! Hope everyone is having a great week! Happy hump day!

LC

1 comment: